Questions and Answers
Please note: the school will need to have the mobile activated before parents and students will have access.
Q. How to do I get the app?
- A. You can download the app for Android devices from Google Play or for iOS devices from the Apple App Store. Select Play Store > Search Apps For CR Family Mobile. (Pictured below is an Android device)
Q. I’ve installed the app; what is my District ID?
- When you log into the MMS Parent Portal, your District ID is displayed on the landing page.
Q. I don’t see a District ID in the parent portal when I log in?
- The school administrator has not yet entered the ID into the system. Call your school.
Q. How do I start the App?
- If you are using an Android device, tap the Apps icon, then the CR Family icon. For an iOS device, tap the CR Family icon on the phone’s screen.
Q. What do I use for my login name? Is it the username I set up for the Parent Portal?
- No, do not use your Parent Portal username. Use the e-mail address on file with your school. The email address associated with the parent account is displayed in the Parent Portal notification icon.
Q. Which password do I use? Will I need to create a new one?
- The same password you use to log into the MMS Parent Portal.
Q. If I have more than one student, how can I choose which student to view?
- Click on the ‘hamburger’ menu, your children/students will be listed.
Q. Is the information I am seeing live from the system?
- The information you see is determined by the refresh rate - you can set the frequency for how often your student’s information is updated/refreshed by doing one of the following:
- Go to Settings > Auto-Refresh Interval. By default it is set for five minutes (it cannot be lower than that.)
- If you are on a limited data plan, you can for example set the refresh to never and choose when you want the data to refresh by clearing the cache (see next question below), or if you are on the main page, by swiping down from the top of the page which also forces a refresh.
iPhone users - the Home, Communications and Settings areas are located in the bottom of the screen.
Q. What is Data Storage? How does it apply when using the mobile application?
- After your student data is loaded from the website server, that information is stored locally on your device. Using the Clear Data option under Settings will force a refresh of the data when you revisit the different pages. To clear the data on an Android (IOS similar):
Select Settings, the ‘gear’ symbol as shown below.
Select the Trash-can/Clear Data now.
Optional is to toggle to enable Clear Data on Logout (out-lined in green).
Q. How can I see when my data was last refreshed?
- To see when the data was last refreshed, click on the information icon at the upper right.
Q. What is the Assignment Color Coding?
- You can set a visual threshold for your student’s assignment scores. By default, assignment score thresholds are set as follows:
80+ is displayed in GREEN
80-65 are displayed in ORANGE
65 and lower are RED
To adjust the color coding go to Settings > Assignment Color Coding. Edit the value by manually entering a new value.
You only need to edit the colors green and orange (red sets automatically).
Select Apply New Color Coding.
Q. What is Messaging? I don’t see anything there.
- If your school has set up a message, for example a notification concerning an upcoming event, it will display here. School messages are specific to a school (for example, just the middle school), whereas district message are applicable for all schools in the district.
Q. Which classes are listed when I select the Schedule icon?
- These are the courses meeting for the current term.
Q. Is the grade that shows for the current year?
- No, that grade is for the current marking period only. The summary of absences and the listed assignments are also only for the current marking period. The school is responsible for setting the current term.
Q. Can I see a list of assignments for a specific class?
- Yes, tap on Schedule and then the course you wish to see assignments for.
Explanation of labels:
Done – the assignment has been completed on time and received a score.
Missing – the assignment has not been completed by the due date and the teacher has flagged it as Missing.
Ungraded – the teacher has not yet entered a score for the assignment.
Due – the assignment is due within seven days.
Q. When I click on Assignments, how are they sorted?
- Any missing assignments for any current class will float to the top of the list. After that, assignments are listed by the date they are due.
Q. Can I get more detail on an assignment?
- Yes, tap the assignment. The name, when it was assigned, the assignment description as well as the possible points and (if graded) the score your student earned will be listed.
Q. What is the difference between the attendance numbers listed on the main page and the attendance listed when I tap a course?
- Attendance numbers on the main page are the student’s daily attendance (“Daily Attendance” is the attendance record for the day for your student). The attendance listed when you tap a class is the attendance for that class only. If there is no attendance listed when you select a course, your school does not track class attendance.
Q. What information is accessible from Behavior?
- These are the number of discipline infractions your student has been given to date. When you tap Behavior it will list the name of the infraction and the staff member (if any) who reported it (note, if the school didn’t enter who reported the infraction then “No teacher assigned” will display.)
Q. Can my students use CR Family Mobile?
- Students can now use the CR Family Mobile application, provided they have a valid email address on file, and have been given the District ID.
Q. Can I email teachers from the app?
- Maybe. This is an optional feature of CR Family. If the teacher has an email address on file with the school, and the school has configured this feature, an envelope icon will show in the course detail area.
Q. Can I contact the school via this app?
- Yes, calling is available if the school has configured a phone number and the device supports calling.